gps magellan gps gps vehicle tracking gps systems auto gps gps tracker ipaq gps bluetooth gps axim gps gps macintosh gps software garmin gps iii pda gps gps for auto gps car navigation garmin gps v gps child locator gps navigation systemcompact flash gps garmin

Sunday, September 14, 2003


Most people agree that this E-mail is what started the Linux ball rolling. Ever since this time, people have jumped onto the Linux bandwagon/religion. Here is the first message:


From: torvalds@klaava.Helsinki.FI (Linus Benedict Torvalds)
Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
Subject: What would you like to see most in minix?
Summary: small poll for my new operating system
Message-ID: <1991Aug25.205708.9541@klaava.Helsinki.FI>
Date: 25 Aug 91 20:57:08 GMT
Organization: University of Helsinki


Hello everybody out there using minix -
I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional
like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones. This has been brewing since April, and is starting
to get ready. I'd like any feedback on things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS
resembles it somewhat (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical
reasons) among other things). I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and
things seem to work. This implies that I'll get something practical within a few
months, and I'd like to know what features most people would want. Any suggestions
are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)


Linus (torvalds@kruuna.helsinki.fi)



PS. Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

No comments: